unable to re-login to kde unless after reboot

Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper vR at movingparts.net
Fri Feb 4 18:33:12 GMT 2005

I'm running 3.4 beta1, and have found that I am unable to re-login reliably to
KDE, through either kdm or gdm.  I find that the startup sequence seems to be
going along just fine until kde tries to restore my previous session, and
then it hangs.

This happens pretty reliably on my laptop, and it's a trifle annoying,
especially considering X's inability to change mouse cursors on the fly
without having to restart all programs concerned.  But I digress...

If I reboot my laptop, then I am always able to login to my KDE session
reliably after a reboot.  But, as I said, if I log out and try to re-login
again, I see the hang described above.

It seems to me that there must be a process running on my machine that I am
not aware of that is causing the hang.  And to this end, in trying to figure
out what might be causing it and fix it, I have tried removing
$HOME/.ICEauthority, $KDEHOME/socket*, $KDEHOME/tmp*, and I have additionally
made sure that there is NO process running under my userid at all when I
tried to re-login.  And still I experience the hang.

Does anyone know what might be happening to cause this hang?

Thanks!!

--

 `
 ,