possibly messed-up permissions from GLOcean

Gary L. Greene Jr. greeneg at arklinux.org
Fri Feb 4 06:54:17 GMT 2005

On Thursday 03 February 2005 9:59 pm, Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper wrote:
> On Thursday 03 February 2005 20:53, s s wrote:
> > > Everything SEEMS to be acting fine now...
> >
> > ...But not anymore. If I lock the desktop in KDE, I
> > cannot unlock it. It doesn't recognize my password.
> > so...
> > the permissions for kdesktop_lock still seem to be
> > broken. I don't know exactly what they should be,
> > maybe there is a file in /opt/kde/bin that it needs to
> > Write to?
> > Does anyone out there know?
>
> I don't know how you got where you are with this (self-installed packages,
> etc.) but 2 things that I've had to learn the hard way recently are as
> follows:
>
> - $KDEDIR/bin/kcheckpass needs to be owned by root and SUID
> - /etc/pam.d/kde needs to be correct (like this...)
>
> #%PAM-1.0
> auth       required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
> auth       required     pam_nologin.so
> auth       sufficient   pam_timestamp.so
> account    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
> password   required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
> session    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
> session    optional     pam_timestamp.so
> session    optional     pam_selinux.so
> session    optional     pam_c
>
> Hope this helps!!  =:)

Actually, be VERY careful about the use of the above mentioned PAM config
file. Unless your distribution is using SELinux, or has SELinux support, you
should omit the session optional pam_selinux.so line from the above.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from uriel

Developer and Project Lead for the Ark Linux Project
 check out http://www.arklinux.org/ for more info.
 Also http://www.csis.gvsu.edu/~greeneg/
EMAIL : greeneg at arklinux.com