How can I get KDE to leave the background alone?

stan stanb at panix.com
Fri Feb 4 00:39:33 GMT 2005

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 12:47:41AM +0100, Tomasz Grobelny wrote:
> On Friday 04 of February 2005 00:30, stan wrote:
> > I'm trying to convert from Gnome (1.4) to KDE (3.7).
> >
> That will propably take some time... ;-)
>
> > In Gnome, I have a perl script that is started up with the equivelant of
> > autorun. It then selects a random iamge from a directory of images, and
> > uses xv to set the root X window to that image. Works like a charm.
> >
> > I've tried several things to try to get KDE to emualte this behavior, but I
> > cna't seem to figure out how to get it to just leave the background
> > untouched. Is this possible? If not, I'll follow up with another question
> > about how to change the behavior of the closest thing I've foundin KDE.
> >
> There are at least 2 solutions:
> 1. configure a slide show in kcontrol (the same place as normal wallpaper)
> 2. use dcop calls instead of xv to set wallpaper. Example call:
> dcop kdesktop KBackgroundIface setWallpaper /full/path/to/file.png 1

I have not been able to get either slide show, nor the "Advanced Options"
run program to do _exactly_ what I want.

I've come _close_ with advanced options. Theu current problem whith thta is
that it insists on "tileing" (I think that's the correct term) some, but
not all of the images.

Isn't it possible (as it is in Gnome) to jsut tell KDE (or the window
mamager, or whatever) to simply leave teh bakground untouched?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin