How can I get KDE to leave the background alone?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Feb 3 23:50:44 GMT 2005

On Friday 04 February 2005 00:30, stan wrote:
> I'm trying to convert from Gnome (1.4) to KDE (3.7).
>
> In Gnome, I have a perl script that is started up with the equivelant of
> autorun. It then selects a random iamge from a directory of images, and
> uses xv to set the root X window to that image. Works like a charm.
>
> I've tried several things to try to get KDE to emualte this behavior, but I
> cna't seem to figure out how to get it to just leave the background
> untouched. Is this possible? If not, I'll follow up with another question
> about how to change the behavior of the closest thing I've foundin KDE.

I think the best way is to set the wallpaper by DCOP

from commandline this would look like this

#> dcop kdesktop KBackgroundIface setWallpaper path_plus_filename mode

mode is a numerical value for how the image gets displayed:
centered = 1
tiled = 2
center tiled = 3
scaled = 6

(the KDE sources have this definition, NoWallpaper is  0:
NoWallpaper, Centred, Tiled, CenterTiled, CentredMaxpect,
TiledMaxpect, Scaled, CentredAutoFit, ScaleAndCrop, lastWallpaperMode)

Cheers,
Kevin
--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>