KDE hangs in mid login after upgrade to 3.4

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Tue Dec 27 23:55:33 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 22:39 +0000, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> Ross Boylan wrote:
>
> > I just upgraded from KDE 3.3 -> 3.4 (Debian testing distribution).
> > Now, when I login via kdm, the window that shows progress in
> > starting up appears and then freezes showing something between 30 and
> > 50% complete.  It doesn't consume any noticeable CPU, but it doesn't
> > progress any further.  I'm not sure which of the icons it was on at
> > the time, though an earlier message on this list seemed to indicate
> > that the x% complete appears during the session startup phase.
>
> <snip>
> Create a completely new user, and try to start KDE with that user. If it
> works, then the problem is with your user config files, otherwise the
> problem is with your installation (or maybe even a bug in KDE). Report back
> and we can suggest further steps.
>
> Regards,
> Philip
Things work OK with a new user.
The new user doesn't have sound, and it seems my sound system isn't
working in a way that has nothing to do with KDE or aRTS (it's ALSA on a
linux 2.4 kernel).  I can live without the sound.

I've moved the following out of .kde/share/config:
disable-kcmartsrc  disabled-kcmkmixrc  disabled-knotifyrc  kmixctrlrc
kmixrc  kmixrceTS6qc.new
(The disable- was from an attempt to disable them in place.  I'm not
sure if that works, so I moved them completely out.  If anyone knows if
renaming is sufficient, I'd like to know.)
It didn't help, though it did change the .xsession-errors some (however,
all sound related).

I've backed up my ~/.kde directory :)

Ross