KDE 3.3.2 to KDE 3.5

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at chch.ox.ac.uk
Tue Dec 27 22:37:15 GMT 2005

João Rodrigues wrote:

> libraries and files, I installed them later and it ran fine thus
> installing the KDE 3.5environment. Problem is, I did those weird commands
> on the konsole "export
> XXXXXX" and they did nothing. Everytime I restart/start kde, it starts KDE
> 3.3.2... What am I doing wrong? Give me a help if you can! Thanks in
> advance and merry christmas!

I think the relevant instructions are in the konstruct README file. If
you're starting KDE using "startx", you need to edit the file ~/.xinitrc .
Add the lines given in
http://developer.kde.org/build/konstruct/stable/README
under the heading "After installation." After those lines, put the line:
exec startkde

After that, "startx" should start up your new KDE 3.5. If you're starting
KDE from kdm, it's a bit different, and I'm not sure offhand how to do it -
check the KDM handbook (you can read the latest version online at
docs.kde.org).

HTH,
Phil