How to get greater resolution

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Sun Dec 25 17:41:00 GMT 2005

Andrew Kar wrote:

> It can go upto 1280x1024 but only at a toy refresh rate of 60Hz which no
> competent computer literate person will tell you is acceptable for
> anything more than very infrequent usage or possibly games where
> concentration of the screen content  is not  an issue. No western
> country  health  authority  considers  60  Hz  as  safe for extended use.

I'm not computer illiterate. I have 17 computers with somewhere between
30 & 40 installed operating systems, and at various times run up to 5 or
6 of them at once sharing up to 4 displays at anywhere from 800x600 to
2048x1536. I run every one of them that lets me (some windoze drivers
don't offer choices) at 60 Hz and can't tell any difference between 60
and 100 or anything in between, except that each driver seems to want to
run with entirely different modes than whatever was last, and screw up
centering and sizing. I minimize this problem by always choosing 60, so
that I minimize the time required futzing with display controls. If I
didn't, I'd have to futz with display controls on every switch, as
displays invariably have far too little mode memory for every possible
combination.

Don't believe CRT display spec limits. The only way to know the limit is
to try. My 17" Sonys claim a max of 1280x1024, but I've not found many
display adapters with adequate memory that won't run them up at least to
1600x1200.
--
Jesus Christ is the reason for the season.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/