How to get greater resolution

Andrew Kar akar3d at yahoo.com.au
Sun Dec 25 14:41:37 GMT 2005

Justin Denick wrote:

> Have you tried the KcontrolCenter?
>
> On 12/12/05, *reader at newsguy.com <mailto:reader at newsguy.com>*
> <reader at newsguy.com <mailto:reader at newsguy.com>> wrote:
>
>     Running Gentoo linux
>     Kde-3.4.1
>
>     How can I get a greater resolution in my kde sessions?
>
>     It seems 1152x1024 is the highest I can get.  But with the monitor
>     mentioned in xorg.conf I should be able to get 1280x1024 or even
>     greater.
>
>     monitor is:
>             ModelName    "hp mx703"
>             HorizSync    30.0 - 70.0
>             VertRefresh  50.0 - 140.0
>
>     ========
>
>     cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
>
>     Section "ServerLayout"
>             Identifier     "X.org <http://X.org> Configured"
>             Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
>             InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
>             InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
>     EndSection
>
>     Section "Files"
>             RgbPath      "/usr/lib/X11/rgb"
>             ModulePath   "/usr/lib/modules"
>             FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
>             FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/"
>             FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
>             FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/CID/"
>             FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
>             FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
>     EndSection
>
>     Section "Module"
>             Load  "glx"
>             Load  "extmod"
>             Load  "dri"
>             Load  "dbe"
>             Load  "record"
>             Load  "xtrap"
>             Load  "freetype"
>             Load  "type1"
>     EndSection
>
>     Section "InputDevice"
>             Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>             Driver      "kbd"
>     EndSection
>
>     Section "InputDevice"
>             Identifier  "Mouse0"
>             Driver      "mouse"
>             Option      "Protocol" "auto"
>             Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
>     EndSection
>
>     Section "Monitor"
>             #DisplaySize      320   240     # mm
>             Identifier   "Monitor0"
>             VendorName   "HWP"
>             ModelName    "hp mx703"
>             HorizSync    30.0 - 70.0
>             VertRefresh  50.0 - 140.0
>             Option      "DPMS"
>     EndSection
>
>     Section "Device"
>             Identifier  "Card0"
>             Driver      "ati"
>             VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc"
>             BoardName   "Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]"
>             BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
>     EndSection
>
>     Section "Screen"
>             Identifier "Screen0"
>             Device     "Card0"
>             Monitor    "Monitor0"
>             DefaultDepth      24
>             SubSection "Display"
>                     Viewport   0 0
>                     Virtual   1600 1280
> [...]
How about you check your monitors capabilities first. According to th hp
specs the mx -703 is only really usable upto about 1024x768 at an
acceptable refresh rate. (75 and 85Hz)
It can go upto 1280x1024 but only at a toy refresh rate of 60Hz which no
competent computer literate person will tell you is acceptable for
anything more than very infrequent usage or possibly games where
concentration of the screen content  is not  an issue. No western
country  health  authority  considers  60  Hz  as  safe for extended use.
The values in xorg.conf are irrelevant. Xorg or Xfree itself will only
allow acceptable display modes according to the specs of the monitor and
will reject the rest. They allow 1152x1024  because X no doubt considers
that this allows an acceptable refresh (probably 70Hz or so)

andrew