KMail: (DNS websurf test in Konq O.K.): but Still trying to configure the 'SEND' facility since last advice on 6th & 8th Dec 2005

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Fri Dec 16 16:41:38 GMT 2005

On Friday 16 December 2005 16:33, JACKIE AINSWORTH wrote:
> Hi,
> Linux newbies here.
>
> Advice from Nigel Henry: cave.dnb at tiscali,fr  15 Dec
> 05 23:30:44
>
> Nigel,
> Yes! - We can surf the web with konq OK! - Have just
> tested again visiting www.kroah.com. No Problems!
> So from what you say this proves that the DNS is OK!
>
> (If you receive this email it was sent via
> Konq.(Because we cannot 'SEND' via KMail that IS the
> problem! - However the webclient 'Reply & 'forward'
> buttons stopped working via konq. so we have to
> freshly 'Compose' button for every reply here we send
> via Konq! Frustrating!)
>
> MYSTERY! : So what exactly ARE we setting incorrectly
> in KMail 'configure', which results in visibly no
> sending of e-mail via the 'internet tool icon' to our
> ISP smtp server: mail.btopenworld.com ?
>
> Is there a way to Prove / check-out the receptivity of
> the mail.btopenworld.com server by sending some test
> signal to it?
>
> (If it is working via Konq, why does it not work for
> KMail?)

Hi Jackie & Jim. I know I had time with Kmail sending from time to time,
mainly due to my own config mistakes. Make sure that you have the
"Identities" line filled out correctly in Kmail config, using your name in
the "Your name" box, and your e-mail address in the "Email address" box.
Don't bother with the organisation box. OK that, and make sure that the entry
you have just made is selected as "Default" on the "Manage Identities" page,
and click apply. Here is where I made errors in the past, not setting the
default identity.

Still in Kmails config, go to the "Network" section. If your receiving mail ok
through the POP (Post Office Protocol) server, thats fine. Click the
"Sending" tab, click on "Modify" , and have a look at your entries here. The
"Name" box can have whatever you want in it. On some of my Kmail configs I
use "Account1" , others I use "Tiscali" . The "Host" box needs to refer to
the SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Prorocol) server of your ISP. Here there is a
slight problem for me, not being familiar with btopenworld. Mine just says
"smtp.tiscali.fr" , smtp.wanadoo.fr" or a reference to whatever your ISP
tells you to put in this box. Usually when you sign up with an ISP you get
all these details from them that you can print off or whatever. I am confused
that you only seem to have been given webmail access with yahoo, that seems a
bit strange. Anyway moving on. The "Port" which should already be set as 25
is the port that SMTP uses to access the Internet. As regards checking out
the SMTP server, click on the "Security" tab, and you have the chance here to
"Check what the server supports" as regards security. This is a bit hit and
miss, because if the server accepts only what is already here, you won't see
any changes, so don't even know if the servers been contacted. If you do see
changes, it's perhaps a good indication that the server has been contacted.
OK the box when you've finished, make sure that your entries are showing at
the top of the list, using the up and down arrows on the page, click apply,
then OK. My wrist is getting tired now, so come back to me with how you get
on. Nigel.