KMail:AMEND Still trying to configure the 'SEND' facility since last advice on 6th & 8th Dec 2005

JACKIE AINSWORTH jackieinbosham at btopenworld.com
Thu Dec 15 21:14:23 GMT 2005

Hi!

Linux newbies persevering to try and configure KMail
'SEND' facility.
(since original attempt 6 Dec 2005)
(Recap: therefore communicating by Konq where 'Reply'
& 'Forward' buttons not working.)
Last kde at mail.kde.org advice was on 6th, 8th, & 14 Dec
05.

New thoughts:
a) Our KMail 'Receive' facility has been proved to
work.
(during 'Receive' the 'Internet Tool'{two pin plug)'
icon can be seen transferring data
Does this in itself prove connectivity potential for
the 'SEND' facility?

b) We have reconfigured 'SEND' to comply with latest
kde advice.
When we try to SEND a test email to our own email
address,
1) Firstly the kde 'CLOCK' appears and the hand
rotates.
2) Next the 'INTERNET TOOL{two pin plug)' ICON does
NOT show that any data is being transferred as 'SEND'
through the phone line.
3) The 'SENT MESSAGES' box remains empty.
4) (There are 37 messages in 'Outbox'{attempted Test
'Sends'.)
5) To confirm that no test messages sent to our own
email address have appeared in our 'inbox'.
Wondering if this indicates that:
Our PC hardware is not sending?    or
mail.btopenworld.com server refusing to accept?
How to tell which?

*In a link which you included in last kde advice
http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2000-jul/1460.html
   :-
eugene_tyrurin at yahoo.com   wrote:-
excerpt........"Did you sign up for the POP/SMTP
access? It's addition procedure to signing up for the
WWW access."
Is this common? - (We only got a standard btopenworld
contract for dial up.) Then he writes: "............
,just make sure you've set up DNS servers in Kppp. For
example, does www.yahoo.com in netscape work?"
We're afraid that this is getting a bit technical for
us as mere newbie 'Application USERS' (Can it be this
difficult to configure KMail ? ..which appears
standard on the SuSE 9.1 bottom and startup ICON bar.)
We switched to 'root' but this brings up only YAST on
our PC. looking in YAST under 'Network Servers' 'DNS'
servers looks like it's for expert use requiring
thorough pre-knowledge of the DNS Number ID system? -
We are out of our depth with this. also under 'help'
'search' for 'Kppp' brings up 'nothing found' (?)
(BTopenworld's 'help' acknowledge requests but do not
seem to actually reply! Their login page just seems to
be peppered with advertising for the proprietory
packaged 'windows' solutions.)
Using your last advice we changed our 'SEND'
configuration to:-
NAME                                           TYPE
jackieinbosham at btopenworld.com             smtp
(default)
Default send method:        Send now
Message property:  MIME Compliant (Quote printable)
Default domain:  mail.btopenworld.com
other boxes now unchecked as suggested.
[Next field];-
'MODIFY TRANSPORT-KMail':-
Name: jackieinbosham at btopenworld.com
HOST: mail.btopenworld.com
PORT 25
Can anyone help since we have tried unsuccessfully
this far?
Kind regards,
Jackie and Jim.
NB Feedback about 'Receive'; under field 'ADD
Account-KMail'
(Account type there is a circle containing a dot where
the term 'POP3' does actually occur.)
Sorry to be appearing regularly with the same problem.
We don't want to be defeated and have to go back to
the 'O/S from Redland'.(We been reading about the
opensource philosophy in Issue 55 of
www.linuxuser.co.uk with the 'cover' Suse 10 DVD
[which our PC currently won't have capacity to
accept].)