How to get greater resolution

reader at newsguy.com reader at newsguy.com
Thu Dec 15 15:47:36 GMT 2005

Rikard Johnels <rikard.j at rikjoh.com> writes:

> At initial boot, you some times see a small text in the upper right hand
> corner sating the graphics bios version and amount of memory...
> Have you tested running the installer in text mode?

I did my install sometime ago and don't recall seeing that, but I have
seen what you describe sometime in the past.  I did run install in
text verbose as always.

> Or verbose, so you see what happens just prior to the crash?

I'm not experiencing a crash.  What I posted about is not getting
higher resolution modes I've tried in xorg.conf.  It doesn't crash it
just selects a lower resolution.  Something like 1024x768.

I don't know how to tell exactly what resoltion is inforce during a
kde session.  Checking the `xwininfo'  tool only shows the `virtual'
desktop size I've set in xorg.conf.

Do you know how to determine what resolution is being displayed?

> Also, what driver do you use?

I'm not sure.  Again, not sure how to tell either.  The Xorg log I
posted does mention that the `radeon' driver did NOT load.   Which
sounds like it might be significant.

Drivers I see loaded during kde session are listed below.  I can't
tell which ones may be realted to video card:

  lsmod:

Module                  Size  Used by
ipv6                  190944  20
e100                   26400  0
3c59x                  31496  0
mii                     2880  2 e100,3c59x
dm_mirror              15988  0
dm_mod                 38556  1 dm_mirror
ata_piix                6372  0
ahci                    8420  0
sata_qstor              6468  0
sata_vsc                5348  0
sata_uli                4544  0
sata_sis                5216  0
sata_sx4               10020  0
sata_nv                 6052  0
sata_via                5700  0
sata_svw                4932  0
sata_sil                6244  0
sata_promise            7716  0

libata 28808 12 ata_piix,ahci,sata_qstor,
       sata_vsc,sata_uli,sata_sis,sata_sx4,
       sata_nv,sata_via,sata_svw,sata_sil,sata_promise

sbp2                   17508  0
ohci1394               26388  0
ieee1394               59768  2 sbp2,ohci1394
sl811_hcd               9568  0
ohci_hcd               15428  0
uhci_hcd               25072  0
usb_storage            51040  2
usbhid                 29408  0
ehci_hcd               23592  0

usbcore 78336 7
    sl811_hcd,ohci_hcd,uhci_hcd,usb_storage,usbhid,ehci_hcd