kde-3.5 and recognising jpg's

Rick Miles rickfrm at optusnet.com.au
Thu Dec 8 19:45:23 GMT 2005

Philip Rodrigues is a darn nice person I don't care what anybody says!
> Rick Miles wrote:
> > Philip Rodrigues is a darn nice person I don't care what anybody says!
>
> Why thank you :-).
<snip>

> Some other things to try for diagnosis purposes:
> 1. Mouseover a JPEG image in konqueror. Does the statusbar say something
> like "JPEG image"?
In konqueror, gif's and tif's have preview and filename.extension, jpg's only
have fielname.extension. When I mouseover a jpg, the details messagebox pops
up but there is no preview in the message box as is the case for gif's and
tif's

> 3. In konqueror's file associations (where you found image/jpeg
> previously), take a look at the apps associated with the file type. Are
> there any? What does the embedding tab say?
Yes, kviw, kuickshow, gimp. Embedded tab was set to show file in embedded
viewer and had nothuing in service preference order. I tried changing it to
same settings as gif and tiff but situation remained the same.

> 2. Try opening a JPEG image in a few different apps, both KDE and non-KDE.
> For KDE apps, you might have to manually open them with something like
> "kuickshow /path/to/file.jpg".

Out put and comments below. Everything is fine in xpaint and gimp. I don't
have anything else on board except kde aps. There are some error messages
about /etc/exports. Don't know why. I am running nfs to share time shifted
dvb-t programs with my daughter but the first time I had this jpg problem I
was not.

rick at rick:~$ kview test.jpg
QMetaObject::findSignal:KViewViewer: Conflict with
KImageViewer::Viewer::imageOpened(const KURL&)
QMetaObject::findSignal:KViewViewer: Conflict with
KImageViewer::Viewer::imageOpened(const KURL&)
kio (KDirWatch): WARNING: KDirWatch::removeDir can't handle

There was no image displayed when kview was opened from konsole. The  file
browser in kview does not display an camera icon fior jpg's but does for gifs
and tifs. Kview will open a jpeg when selected in its file browser. It will
open gifs and tifs from konsole.

rick at rick:~$ kuickshow test.jpg
kio (KDirWatch): WARNING: KDirWatch::removeDir can't handle '/etc/exports'

There was no image displayed in kuickshow when it was run from konsole.
Kuickshow opened into a full window file browser. It will open gifs and tifs
from konsole. In the file browser jpg's don't show up but they can be seen
without icon from File | Open File and every time I go to Open File I'll get
a couple of these messages in konsole "kuickshow: WARNING: Pixmap not found
for mimetype application/x-crossover-jpg
"

rick at rick:~$ kolourpaint test.jpg

Kolourpaint does not display a jpg when called from konsole nor does konsole
display any error messages. Jpg iles are not even recognised in kolourpaint
filebrowser. When I type in a filename.jpg I just get a message saying file
could not be opened.

rick at rick:~$ kimagemapeditor
kimagemapeditor: WARNING: Pixmap not found for mimetype
application/x-crossover-jpg
kimagemapeditor: WARNING: Pixmap not found for mimetype
application/x-crossover-jpg
kimagemapeditor: WARNING: Pixmap not found for mimetype
application/x-crossover-jpg
kio (KDirWatch): WARNING: KDirWatch::removeDir can't handle '/etc/exports'

Jpg's are identified and can be opened in kimagemapeditor from Open File but
it but does not display image icon.

--
Cheers,

Rick Miles

Movement stopped is no movement,
and rest set in motion is no rest.

Written on Pungenday, the 51st of The Aftermath, 3171
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~rickfrm/