Konqueror 'REPLY & 'FORWARD' buttons now disappeared since 'Contact' 'Help' message acknowledged by BT Yahoo! (?)

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Wed Dec 7 21:57:34 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 07 December 2005 21:27, JACKIE AINSWORTH wrote:
> Hi,
> Linux newbie's persevering:
>
> kitts at hotpop.com
> kevin.krammer at gmx.at
>
> Thanks for insights and suggestions about two days
> ago.06 Dec 2005 :17:19:51 +0100
>
> Seems you two got some insight? You wrote to each
> other :- "As far as I understand it, they are
> currently using the Yahoo web mail interface, so their
> initial report that some button wasn't working in
> Konqueror actually makes sense.  OOPS! I am sorry. It
> did not strike me until now! :-) "
>
> We went with your initial suggestions, and tries
> 'Help' Contact at our ISP BY Yahoo.com. Initially we
> got 'Field' Message popped up :
> "JavaScript-Konqueror (X) unsupportedbrowser: unable
> to detect the status of ICM installation". On 6
> Dec.17:39:18 GMT We got acknowledgement promising in
> touch A.S.A.P. from noreply at byinternet.com to our Help
> Request:-
> "Please, 1) Which 'MAIL CLIENT' am I using? Am I using
> 'Pop or 'Imap'?
> Thre 'REPLY' & 'FORWARD' BUTTONS on the email
> programme stopped working so we need to know the name
> of the 'MAIL CLIENT'?  I want to continue to use my
> opensource webbrowser namely: 'Konqueror' from KDE.org
> Distributed by Novell www.suse.de I do not wish to be
> redirected to use a monopoly propietory operating
> system and Webrowser. We are making a commercial
> choice to use a LINUX Operating System."  -  We are to
> date awaiting the promised investigation from BT
> yahoo. (Last time we contacted them about a problem
> they suggested we changed to a Microsoft O/S)
> We 'right clicked' to veiw document source on BT Yahoo
> home page which would NOT print, but wonder if these
> jottings provide any clues:
> "KonquerornjqNlc.html-Kwrite Konqueror
> pg8L4a.html.GeneratingPRINTdatapage 49
> mail.yahoo.com "wmailmain" KonqAQngkd-html.
> <--web86008.mail-ukl.yahoo.com compressed/chunked wed
> Dec. 19.24:13 GMT-->
> Also the 'REPLY' & 'FORWARD' buttons have SINCE
> DISAPPEARED!!! (?)
> Are we stumbling upon any useful clues yet please? Are
> you free to give us any? We can feed back to
> kde at mail.kde.org if BT Yahoo do eventually reply.
> Sehr Danke/Thanks very much
> and Tchuss/Cheers,
> Jim & Jackie.

Hi Jim & Jackie. A few questions. Are you using a serial modem connected to
your Linux box, or an Ethernet connected adsl modem? Are you able to browse
the Internet ok using Konqueror? Don't take any notice of the ISP telling you
to use a Windows OS. They are living in the dark ages. If you cannot solve
the problem with BT, change your ISP. Obviously if you are using webmail you
need to know your username and password so as to be able to send mail. It may
be worth setting up a different ISP account. I had no problems in England
with Freeserve which is now Wanadoo. I'm now living in France, and have had
no problems with e-mail or webbrowsing with Tiscali.fr or Wanadoo.fr.
Admittadly these are able to use Kmail as an email client, sending via smtp,
and receiving mail via pop3 mailservers. Also I've had no problems with
Tiscali's webmail service either. As an alternative, as Mozilla Firefox
(webbrowser) is used so much now, it may be worth installing Firefox, and see
whether you can send Yahoo webmail through that, but personally I havn't had
problems using Konqueror for sending webmail. Nigel.