kde 3.4.0: empty application list; "Configure desktop" does not work

Aditya Pratap V. adityavpratap at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 14:40:36 BST 2005

I haven't gone through your previous mail, but if I understand it
correctly, your kmenu seems to be blank.
Did you try to log into as another user?
If everything is allright in your other user account then try the following -

$mv $HOME/.config/menus/application-kmenuedit.menu application-kemenuedit.menu
$kbuidsycoca --noincremental

Hope this solves your problem.

On 8/25/05, Denis Vlasenko <vda at ilport.com.ua> wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 August 2005 10:58, Andrew Kar wrote:
> > On Monday 08 August 2005 01:18, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> > > Can some kde 3.4.x user help me with this?
> > > Where these files end up on correctly installed kde end up?
> >
> > KDE and Gnome both now use a standard that you can read up on at
> > freedesktop.org.
> >
> > You dont say what distro you are using but I have seen the problem you are
> > having on distros like Mandrake that have a switchable menu structure from
> > their own control panel that lets you switch between standard kde menus and
> > "Mandrake" menus; usually they have their own menu editor (not the kde one)
> > that lets you switch it back and you must do so.
>
> It was a Slackware in a dim past. :) I guess by this time not a single binary
> is left from original installation, everything is replaced by updates
> built from source.
>
> Anyway, problem was in missing /etc/xdg directory.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> vda

Aditya Pratap V.