Disabling win key action

Tim Johnson tim at johnsons-web.com
Wed Aug 24 17:35:46 BST 2005

* Christian Mueller <cmueller at gmx.de> [050823 21:54]:
> Am Mittwoch, 24. August 2005 04:14 schrieb Tim Johnson:
> > Hi:
> > I'm using KDE 3.2.3 on slackware 10.0.
> >
> > I have a logitech keyboard and have remapped the win key (keycode 115)
> > to Super_L.
> >
> > Pressing this key and releasing it causes the Lauch Menu to be invoked.
> > This is very distracting. I would like to be able to disable this
> > effect.
> >
> > Note: KDE appears to still recognize this key as 'win' where emacs
> > does recognize it as 'super'. Xev only records the menu events when
> > the key is pressed and released.
> >
> > And KDE accepts the key as modifier.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated. I'd really like to make this go away.
>

> Is upgrading KDE an option for you?  This behaviour (Win key opens KMenu)
> has been completely removed.  IIUC that happened because of problems
> like yours.
 Hello Christian:
 I had posted this problem some time ago to a Slackware ML. Below is
 a copy of the suggestion and my reply. Happy to say that I guess
 it is fixed.
> Have you had a look in Regional & accessibility -> Keyboard Layout ->
> Xkb Options -> Alt/Win Behaviour and does it make any difference?

  Bingo!
    Here are the new settings:
    Set keyboard layout xkb options as follows:
     Control key postion: swap control and caps lock
     alt/win key behavior:
     Super is mapped to the win keys (default)
     but was not set as default

It now appears that emacs on this partition reads the following key
combination:
  Win + j
  as
  H-s-j
  while on my RH partition
  Win + j  is read as
  S-j

 While on both partitions, 'win' is set to 'super'.

  Not really a big deal tho' - just a matter of changing a prefix
  key setting, while I'm very happy to be rid of that popup.

> I don't recall if it could be disabled in KDE 3.2 though.
> Maybe someone else?

  (see above)

 Thanks very much
 Tim