Running KDE without aRts -> KDE ignores the external player

Javi javi at gsmlandia.com
Wed Aug 17 21:25:46 BST 2005

Hi everybody!

I've been trying to make my KDE setup run without artsd. The high-level reason for this is that I don't want to have this daemon wasting resources because my soudncard (emu10k1) supports hardware mixing and it works like a charm.

I've compiled KDE without aRts support. Under 'Control Center -> Sound and Multimedia -> System Notifications -> Player Settings -> Use an external player' I've configured KDE to use the next script as external player:
----------
#!/bin/bash
   case `echo "$1" | sed -re "s/.*\.(.*)$/\1/"` in
   ogg)
   ogg123 "$1" &
   ;;
   mp3|mpg|mpeg)
   mpg321 "$1" &
   ;;
   wav|au)
   aplay "$1" &
   ;;
   esac
The script works flawlessly. The problem is KDE is ignoring it at all. The KDE system notifications dind't get played.
~/.kde3.4/share/config/knotifyrc contains the correct path to the script. The scripr has 755 permissions.
A've also tried using kdialog as external player, just for debugin, to see if it's been invoked, but it is not.

Do I need aRts to get KDE system notifications?
Can someone give me any suggestions?

T.I.A.