kommander issues

Steve Evans stevee at gorbag.com
Wed Aug 17 11:19:00 BST 2005

On Wednesday 17 Aug 2005 09:23, Christian Mueller wrote:
> Am Freitag, 19. August 2005 00:31 schrieb John R. Sowden:
> > It seems that the documentation is in the .docbook files.
> > How are they to be displayed?
>
> By viewing the .html files that are in the same directory as the
> .docbook files (at least on my system they are in the same dir).
> Don't you have them?  How did you install that documentation?
>
> The docbook files are a documentation source format and
> AFAIK not meant to be viewed by the user of the software.
> I wonder why they are installed at all...
>
> The .html files should have been generated from the .docbook
> files and contain the same information (only in a nice
> viewable format).  If you don't have the HTML files,
> could it be that you installed some
> documentation *source* package instead of the documentation
> package (just guessing though)?

I don't have the .html files for any of the documentation either on my home
machines (all running gentoo linux), or at work on a Solaris machine using a
KDE that I built from source using all of the standard tarballs. The help
centre works fine for me without html files, which suggests that it is using
the docbook files, as described in my previous post.

> BTW: What do you get when you enter help:/kommander/
> in the location bar of konqueror?

At work, where I have kommander installed, this displays the help for
kommander. The location bar displays help:/kommander/index.html which
suggests to me that the docbook file is being converted to html on the fly
for display in konqueror.

A quick google reveals a KDE command line program called meinproc that can
convert docbook to html, maybe this is used. Perhaps the OP can use this to
display the help in firefox?

Steve
Steve Evans            E-mail: mailto:stevee at gorbag.com
                       WEB:    http://www.gorbag.com