Proposal: Shared network-enabled virtual desktop for KDE 4.0

Janne Ojaniemi janne.ojaniemi at nbl.fi
Thu Aug 11 12:09:42 BST 2005

On Thursday 11 August 2005 01:05, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> Janne Ojaniemi wrote:
> > PROPOSAL
> >
> > KDE 4.0 should have network-enabled shared virtual desktop that could be
> > shared with other users on the network. The proposal is tentatively
> > called ?Foresight?.
>
> Interesting idea, definitely deserving a wider audience. This list is
> mainly for user support: you can find more KDE developers at the kde-devel
> and kde-core-devel mailing lists.

Noted. I sent this proposal to KDE-devel as well. I was originally hesitant to
send it there because the list was apparently for developers, and I'm no
developer.

> Two thoughts: I'd suggest you make it more clear what the purpose of your
> message is: are you looking for the opinions of the KDE developers, other
> developers who are interested in helping you, beta testers, ...? Also, if
> you have some prototype or proof-of-concept code, link to it - you might
> get some responses of the "show us the code" type otherwise.

I'm not a coder, I'm afraid. So I can't "show the code". But most of the
required technology is already there. NX work very well (in fact, I'm typing
this through NX-session on my KDE-machine at home, while I'm actually sitting
at work enduring Windows XP ;)).

What I'm interested in is to know is:

a) whether my idea is pure BS and/or bogus
b) is it doable. If it is, should/could it be done
c) how to refine and improve the idea
d) what sort of functionality should it include

In short: All kinds of comments are welcome :).

> Good luck with with idea!

Thanks :)!