(no subject)

Ed Bickerstaff wingo at verizonmail.com
Sat Aug 6 11:31:51 BST 2005

Hi there

I have posted this in the kde-accessibility list but there seems to be no traffic there so am trying this list:

I am new to the list so first an introduction. My name is Ed and I am
interested in this list because I have one hand which leads to my
first question for the list.

I have asked this question on the Linspire forum and have made some
progress but still have not acheived the goal of setting up KDE and
Linux to allow me to use the Dvorak left hand keyboard layout.

Background: The Dvorak layout attempts to make typing easier by
grouping the most commonly used keys together around the home key
position so users fingers travel less. Seems trivial but try it and
you may become a convert. This is even more important for users with
one hand or who can use only one hand for typing, hence the left hand
(and RH) layout, it is designed for someone with the use of one hand.

I am hoping someone can help. I am trying to setup linux with the
Dvorak left hand keyboard layout. It is an easy thing to set the
keyboard to the Dvorak layout through the control center, however
there is no option to use the left handed version (or RH), the
control center does offer some layout variants.

I have been unable to find any help regarding this, Google doesn let
me down too often.

It is probably a simple matter for those who understand how to edit
the keyboard layout files (maps?) and then configure the OS to use
those edited layouts. This is beyond my current state of knowledge re
Linux I admit. This can not be that difficult, Microsoft has had this
implemented since 98 and a small easy tweak made it work in 95.

After some help from the Linspire forum I found a keyboard map for
DvorakLH in a .gz file:

/usr/share/keymaps/i386/dvorak/dvorak-l.kmap.gz

Now I need to be able to put this into the place where the Control
Center can find it and offer it to me as a layout variant. It seems
odd that it is there all the time and not availabe somewhere as an
option.

If anyone can help me to get the Control Center to see
dvorak-l.kmap.gz as a Layout variant or perhaps have another solution
I would be extremely happy if you could help.

If there is another list I should post this to, I would be grateful
to know as well.

Cheers

Ed