System Notifications on Upgraded KDE 3.4

Thomas McGuire Thomas.McGuire at gmx.net
Sun Apr 24 11:03:37 BST 2005

On Thursday 17 March 2005 14:11, Philip Beyers wrote:
> I upgraded KDE 3.3 to version 3.4 without any problems. I am running Suse
> 9.2 Pro. I am able to play any sounds files I wish without any problems and
> I also get the test sounds generated by the Control Centre. I do not
> however have audible system notifications anymore (i.e. like sounds played
> when switching between virtual desktops or when KDE starts up or shuts
> down).
I had the same problem, I upgraded my SuSE 9.2 to KDE 3.4.
All sounds worked fine, except notifications.

I compiled and installed kdelibs, kdebase and arts from source (in that
order).
My notifications started working after I installed arts, but maybe kdelibs has
to be installed also. I don't know.

So, if you are still having problems with this, try installing arts from
source. If this does not help, continue with kdelibs and kdebase.

Hope that helps,
Thomas