KDM: Your saved session type 'Xsession' is not valid any more.\nPlease select a new one, otherwise 'default' will be used.

Erik sigra at home.se
Thu Apr 21 12:15:44 BST 2005

James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> Erik wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> when I logged out today I got this message when KDM was started:
>> Your saved session type 'Xsession' is not valid any more.
>> Please select a new one, otherwise 'default' will be used.
>>
>> Why? I still have Xsession in /etc/X11/Sessions. (It could have somthing
>> to do with "emerge -u world" or etc-update, but I do not know exactly.)
>

> Handy hint: error messages are not always correct.

Then it is a bug.

> That seems to be the problem here.
>
> I suggest that you try using the menu on the login dialog to choose
> KDE and see if that fixes the problem.  If you are using auto login,
> hit <Ctrl><Alt><Backspace> as soon as you see the X cursor to get to
> the login screen.

I selected KDE 3.3.2 from the session menu, logged in and logged out
again, but after that there was still no menu option for Xsession there,
so the problem is not solved. This causes problems because
/etc/X11/Sessions/Xsession contains important code like:
if [ -z "$XKB_IN_USE" ]; then
    if [ -f "$rh6sysmodmap" ]; then
       xmodmap "$rh6sysmodmap"
    fi

    if [ -f "$sysmodmap" ]; then
       xmodmap "$sysmodmap"
    fi

    if [ -f "$usermodmap" ]; then
       xmodmap "$usermodmap"
    fi
fi

This has to be executed because without this, the commands in
/etc/X11/Xmodmap are not executed and then some keys and mouse buttons
do not work. KDE does not execute that code.