KDM: Your saved session type 'Xsession' is not valid any more.\nPlease select a new one, otherwise 'default' will be used.

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Apr 21 12:03:28 BST 2005

Erik wrote:
> Hello,
> when I logged out today I got this message when KDM was started:
> Your saved session type 'Xsession' is not valid any more.
> Please select a new one, otherwise 'default' will be used.
>
> Why? I still have Xsession in /etc/X11/Sessions. (It could have somthing
> to do with "emerge -u world" or etc-update, but I do not know exactly.)

Handy hint: error messages are not always correct.

That seems to be the problem here.

I suggest that you try using the menu on the login dialog to choose KDE
and see if that fixes the problem.  If you are using auto login, hit
<Ctrl><Alt><Backspace> as soon as you see the X cursor to get to the
login screen.

--
JRT