Recovering kmail's data

Justin Denick justin.denick at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 14:15:24 BST 2005

I do believe something like could help you. In fact I go this from the
first link that popperd up on google when searching for "tar and ssh"

tar cf - .kmailstuff  | ssh you at somebodiesbox.whatever tar xf - -C
/home/thatsombody

Though to be honest I've never tried it so tell me how it goes. After
you have joined the list of course.

On 4/14/05, Andrew Kar <akar3d at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 01:29 am, you wrote:
> > Andrew, thanks for taking the time to answer, however your'e assumptions
> > are incorrect about our HDD space problem.
>
> Well they *were* tongue in cheek...
>
> > We would like to stay focused
>
> So would I, but I just cant... I had a painful adolesence and am facing an
> equally traumatic middle-age...
>
> > on the issue of accessing the KDE configuration and mail data.
> > As far as us reading or not reading the list archives; there is no time to
> > wade through the list for a resolution --job constraints.
>
> I used to have that problem too so I threw away the job. I wouldn't have had
> to though if my mummy had let me use a SEARCH ENGINE I could have typed in :
> "kmail move mail another machine" and got 20,000 variously relevant replies.
> Unfortuneatly SHE just thought I wanted to search for pornography....
>
> But since you didn't bite (much) I could suggest archiving your whole Mail
> folder from your /home/USERNAME folder (as a mail.tar.bz2/gz etc not just
> compressing it as bz2 or gz) and then unarching it on the new machine
> in the same place and to be safe delete the index files in the root of the
> Mail folder and let the new Kmail regenerate them when it starts up.
> --
> regards,
> andrew

Got Gentoo?

It usually takes more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech.
                -- Mark Twain