Recovering kmail's data

Andrew Kar akar3d at yahoo.com.au
Thu Apr 14 19:04:00 BST 2005

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 01:29 am, you wrote:
> Andrew, thanks for taking the time to answer, however your'e assumptions
> are incorrect about our HDD space problem.

Well they *were* tongue in cheek...

> We would like to stay focused

So would I, but I just cant... I had a painful adolesence and am facing an
equally traumatic middle-age...

> on the issue of accessing the KDE configuration and mail data.
> As far as us reading or not reading the list archives; there is no time to
> wade through the list for a resolution --job constraints.

I used to have that problem too so I threw away the job. I wouldn't have had
to though if my mummy had let me use a SEARCH ENGINE I could have typed in :
"kmail move mail another machine" and got 20,000 variously relevant replies.
Unfortuneatly SHE just thought I wanted to search for pornography....

But since you didn't bite (much) I could suggest archiving your whole Mail
folder from your /home/USERNAME folder (as a mail.tar.bz2/gz etc not just
compressing it as bz2 or gz) and then unarching it on the new machine
in the same place and to be safe delete the index files in the root of the
Mail folder and let the new Kmail regenerate them when it starts up.
--
regards,
andrew