timezone

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sun Apr 3 18:49:15 BST 2005

Mage wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> if I set the time with the clock at the bottom right of the screen,
> the clock overwrites the /etc/timezone with the correct timezone but
> without any newline character,

This may be a bug that should be fixed, but it is thus on my system and
it doesn't seem to cause any problem.

> and also overwrites the /etc/localtime symbolic link with a file.

Yes, I have a file on my system.  What are the contents of the file.

Try:

	cat localtime

Actually you need only the last dozen or so characters depending on the
time zone.

> After this the whole system will use UTC instead of my real zone
> (CEST). The only solution I found is manual editing the config files
> and not using the GUI clock.

There is somewhere on you system that you need to set the fact that you
want the hardware clock to local time.

On my system, it is the file: "/etc/sysconfig/clock":

	UTC=no
	ZONE='America/Phoenix'

--
JRT