how can KDE be made snappier?

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Tue Sep 28 21:25:06 BST 2004

I've been to the "speed up kde" site, and kde is still just sluggish. Athlon
XP-M 2800+ laptop, 512 meg ram, some sort of ATI Radeon graphics card, all
the animations and eyecandy for kde turned off, and I can STILL visibly
witness the repainting of window elements (it's fast, but visible). IMO, a
window should reappear (when maximizing after hidden, for example) instantly
and as a single unit.

It takes 2+ seconds to load a konsole window (after it's just been closed).

Also, opening a Konqueror window (just my damn home folder!!) takes MINIMUM a
full second and you can see the painting of the inner window making things
flash and such. Sometimes 3+ seconds. This is NOT time to show previews or
anything like that. No F9 side bar is displayed. On Windows, directories of
similar size open instantly.

KDE performance section of the control center says minimize memory usage for
file browsing only (recommended) and  max # of instances preloaded is 3
(tried it with 0 and 1 as well, same results essentiallly). Also checked
Always try to have at least one preloaded instance.

FYI:

[root at localhost trevor]# hdparm /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 multcount    = 16 (on)
 IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    = 256 (on)
 geometry     = 16383/255/63, sectors = 78140160, start = 0
[root at localhost trevor]# hdparm -tT /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   516 MB in  2.00 seconds = 257.78 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:   44 MB in  3.08 seconds =  14.28 MB/sec

Trevor Smith // trevor at haligonian.com