keyboard: additional key

Stephan Matthiesen stephan at met.ed.ac.uk
Tue Sep 14 14:13:43 BST 2004

Hi,

is it possible to assign a simple key combination to the letter ñ (ntilde),
which I need a lot when writing about El Niño....

I'm using KDE 3.3. (KDE-Redhat), keyboard PC105(intl), keyboard layout German
(nodeadkeys), Fedora 2, on a Toshiba Laptop.

Kshortcut (in the control centre) doesn't seem to work at all. Trying to
define something like Alt-Ctrl-N -> ñ simply doesn't do anything. But then I
even the predefined example "Type Hello" doesn't work when I activate it - is
there a trick?

Doing
  xmodmap -e 'keycode 57=n N ntilde Ntilde'
does not work either. However I can set:
  xmodmap -e 'keycode 57=ntilde Ntilde'
but then of course I loose the normal 'n'.

Any other ideas? Thanks a lot in advance...

I'm a bit surprised that this letter is not assignet to AltGr-n by default, in
the same way as AltGr-m -> µ, AltGr-s -> ß, AltGr-o -> ø etc... Where would I
have to suggest this feature for the future?

Stephan