how to upgrade with yum?

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Mon Sep 13 04:30:08 BST 2004

I used the instructions at http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/ to set my
yum.conf file and was able to quickly update everything on my system.

But I wanted to try the "testing" stuff (kde 3.3)... So I changed "stable" to
"testing" in all the instructions on the above page and retried.

This time yum told me :

Resolving dependencies
......Unable to satisfy dependencies
Package kdelibs needs libHalf.so.2, this is not available.
Package kdelibs needs libIex.so.2, this is not available.
Package kdelibs needs libIlmImf.so.2, this is not available.
etc.

I tried update, upgrade and install ... (whatever it says on the page above).
So why does yum deal with depencies for "stable" rpms but not for "testing"
rpms? And how can one actually install the RPMs for kde 3.3? Must I do it
"manually"?

Trevor Smith // trevor at haligonian.com