[kde] No KDE 3.3 from Mandrake?

John Layt johnlayt1 at yahoo.co.nz
Mon Sep 6 10:50:33 BST 2004

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 11:06, Shurajit Gopal wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am trying to upgrade the KDE 3.2 to KDE 3.3 on my Mandrake Linux 10.
> I visited http://download.kde.org/download.php?url=stable/3.3/  but on
> all the FTP sites I see only  Connectiva, Debian, SuSe, Yoper, Contrib
> and SRC folders.  I don't see one for Mandrake.  Which one of those
> folders would be most compatible with Mandrake Linux 10?

No official rpms until after the release of 10.1 in the next month or two,
they claim to not have the time to do both at once.  Got to wonder where all
that Club money went to...

A dude known as Thac has produced a set that work pretty well, you can find
them at http://rpm.nyvalls.se/10.0/RPMS/, use KGet to choose the packages you
need (kde, arts, qt, etc).

Just be warned it's not a straightforward upgrade, you need to uninstall a few
kde packages first, such as some -util packges, and Quanta (now in
kdewebdev).

It also depends on having the XOrg version of X11 installed, which involves
uninstalling XFree by brute force on the command line.  Alternatively, you
can force it to still use XFree, but again it's a command line thing and you
then loose some advanced keyboard functionality.

Just be kind on his bandwidth, and don't download unless you are capable of
resolving the dependency issues.

John.

P.S.  Oh, yeah, he doesn't seem to have KDevelop yet...