KDE Remote Desktop

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Oct 26 17:00:41 BST 2004

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 16:53, Bob Trautman wrote:
> When logged into the operaating system and running kde, From another
> workstation I can connect remotely to the Linux server via KDE remote
> desktop.  However, if the Linux server is displaying a kde login screen
> the connections are refused.  Is this by design?  If I am working
> remotely on the server and reboot I can not login remotely via KDE
> remote client?  I did see an option in YAST to enable remote
> Administration.  I enabled this, rebooted the system and it did not make
> any difference.

I think remote desktop is for controlling a running desktop session.
It should always work to have the local XServer connect to the remote login
manager (if this option is enabled).
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO/

I use this with Xnest (XServer running as a window of another XServer) to run
CD burnding sessions on my other machine.

Another possibility might be to use a NoMachine NX server. If I remember
correctly newer versions even allow to suspend and reconnect to a session.

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>