No root ligins are allowed

Randall D. Hobbs Mandrake at acquire-technology.com
Fri Oct 15 02:38:42 BST 2004

On Thursday 14 October 2004 08:21 pm, Howard Coles Jr wrote:
> That's a good question that even I would like the answer to.  I have Debian
> running on two systems, and occasionally if I'm having a problem, I like to
> login as root and see if root is having an issue.  Now, however, I can't
> even do that.  I can't for the life of me remember where to turn this
> ability back on.

If you're using KDM, look for 'kdmrc' (mine shows to be
under /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc, but I do not use KDM, so there might
likely be another place for it). Either way, edit it, and look for the line:

AllowRootLogin=false

Set it to true. Now you should be allowed root access via KDM.

If you use GDM, run 'gdmconfig', then select the "Security" tab. Check the box
that says "Allow root to log in with GDM". Close it out. Done.

--
Take care,
Randall Hobbs