video artifacts in kde

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Oct 9 10:52:48 BST 2004

On Friday 08 October 2004 23:06, Trevor Smith wrote:
>On October 8, 2004 6:42 pm, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> No, the general wisdom is that you need to see if there is an ATI
>> driver that works better or see if there is a patch for the X.ORG
>> "radeon" driver.
>>
>> The current X.ORG release is 6.8.1 so you might want to upgrade.
>
>Screw it. I dug around and looked at that gatos site that supposedly
> has drivers for ati cards and it is MONUMENTALLY confusing. No
> chance any normal end user could ever use it.
>
>As for updating X, it's only slightly less intimidating and
> confusing. I couldn't even begin to guess where to start trying to
> upgrade -- and that's AFTER reading the instructions at the XFree
> site.

Excuse me?  First, why are you using the instructions from the XFree
site?  You should be looking at xorg.org or freedesktop.org, anything
else is out of date.

Second, the build and install is as simple as unpacking it into
a /usr/src/xc directory which it will make if its unpacked
into /usr/src.

Then make yourself another build directory called /usr/src/X11R6.8.1,
cd to it and do an 'lndir ../xc' from there.  Then without further
ado while cd'd to /usr/src/X11R6.8.1, do 'make World" which on this
machine takes maybe 45 minutes.  When thats done, do a 'make
install'.  If you are using an rpm package base system such as
checkinstall, do a 'checkinstall -R -fstrans=no' and answer a few
questions to generate an installable rpm, then install it.

Total time was a bit over an hour here.  Degree of difficulty would be
90% in the users mind.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)