Can I display Chinese character filenemes in an

Robin Rosenberg robin.rosenberg.lists at dewire.com
Sat Oct 9 00:31:35 BST 2004

On Thursday 07 October 2004 02.53, Arne Götje (高盛華) wrote:
> On Thursday 07 October 2004 04:32, Robin Rosenberg wrote:
> > > It appears that KDE's clipboard converts to UTF-8 automatically.
> >
> > Yes it does. I think the clipboard uses UTF-8. KDE however uses
> > UTF-16 internally and converts when necessary. In some cases that
> > leads to data loss. Gnome, one the other hand is UTF-8 based.
>
> uh... does that mean KDE can only handle characters in BMP? Or is KDE
> smart enough to use the surrogates to handle also plane 2 characters?
> I know that Gnome can handle plane 2 characters correctly.

UTF-16 would imply being capable of handling characters outside the BMP,
although not as many as UTF-8 (if that will ever matter).

I haven't tried this though. Maybe you could mail me a couple of plane 2
characters and we'll so how it works out. If you do give a few suggestions
on font's to use. Of course it could handle UTF-16 to some extent without
being able to display it.

-- robin