Can I display Chinese character filenemes in an

Glenn Alexander glenalec at shoalhaven.net.au
Sun Oct 3 04:58:23 BST 2004

> To display UTF8 (8 bit UniCode) file names, you have to set
environment
> variables.  If you have LC_ALL=C (use default language for all LC_*)
then you
> need to set: LANG="en_us.utf8".
> --
> JRT

Thanx for that, it gave me enough to track down what seems to be a
solution:

On Debian, I used 'dpkg-reconfigure locales' and checked the UTF
versions of the locales I support and set EN-AU-UTF-8 as my default.

The filenames don't display right yet -- lots of underscores and one
or two chinese chars -- but I think it is now a problem of translating
the old zh_CN.GB2312 format filenames to UTF-8, and I'll take that to
a more appropriate list if I can't google it.

Sorry I didn't put this query on KDE-Linux where it should have gone.
I didn't realise it was a Linux-specific issue.

Regards, and thanks to everyone for help,
Glenn Alexander