[SOLVED!!!] Missing fonts when upgrading to qt-3.3.3/kde-3.3

John Nielsen knoglen at tele2.fr
Tue Nov 30 17:26:50 GMT 2004

Hi,

Im sorry for not getting back to the list sooner. Ive been busy. :-(

Thanks for this long and detailed explanation! It solved my problem! And it
taught me a whole lot about how X handles fonts.

> These directories are listed in:
>
> 	/etc/fonts/fonts.conf
> 	/etc/fonts/local.conf
>
> It is recommended that you use scalable fonts.

When i ran the above 'fc-cache -v' command, it listed all of the directories
it was scanning for caching. A lot of things were missing i noticed.
Including the directory used by X11 for storing its internal fonts!

I added this line to the /etc/fonts/local.conf file:

<dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts</dir>

and then reran the 'fc-cache -v' command. This time a whole bunch of font
directories were listed.

I restarted Xorg and all of my fonts had returned. I have my beloved Helvetica
back and konqueror renders beautifully again!

Theres only one thing i dont understand though. The /etc/fonts/local.conf file
was unchanged from kde-3.2 to kde-3.3 when i upgraded. kde-3.2 didnt need the
extra line in /etc/fonts/local.conf to pick up all of the fonts before i
upgraded, but now it does. Do you have any idea how that can be?

Again thanks for your help!

John