Gigabytes of unused Data?, was Re: KDE 3.3.1 seems to be gradually breaking down here

Peter B Van Campen peterb at vancampen.org
Sun Nov 28 21:59:53 GMT 2004

On Sunday 28 November 2004 3:26 pm, Guido Pinkernell wrote:
> On Sunday 28 November 2004 20:21, Guido Pinkernell wrote:
> > I can't recall what exact step could be the cause of this, so
> > bugtracking won't be possible, I'm afraid. But I will let ou know
> > about this anyway. Maybe someone is interested:
>
> I think I have found a reason for all this. YaST2 says my main
> partition (8GBytes) is running out of space (99%), about 15MB left. I
> can't remember loading more than 3GBytes onto the harddisk recently,
> however Linux has crashed several times in recent hours, so there
> seems to be loads of unused data.
>
> I remember especially that when trying to make a system backup onto a
> external USB disk the backup process halted while in the middle of
> writing onto the disk. Maybe due to a lost USB connection. So the
> mysterious gigabytes might very well be leftovers from the backup
> files.
>
> From all this your must surely gather that I am new to Linux. Maybe
> you could help me with this: How do I find out about this data, so
> that I am able to delete the lot, and delete the right lot?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Guido

Hi,

The better place for you to ask this is the SUSE-e list. You can find it
here: http://lists.suse.com

SUSE 9.2 has a 'Repair System" option from the install CD or DVD that
really impressed me.

I have had and I have seen posts regarding system hangs using USB ext
HDs.

PeterB

we'll look for you on the SUSE-e list