k3b won't write CDs

Larry Howe larry.howe at comjet.com
Fri Nov 26 14:51:50 GMT 2004

On Friday 26 November 2004 09:38, Nick THOMPSON wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 13:39, Larry Howe wrote:
> > On Friday 26 November 2004 04:54, Nick THOMPSON wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a DVD re-writer which can write CD-R/W's as well, k3b even says
> > > that it can in its device summary. However, although k3b will erase and
> > > write DVD-R/W's, it won't let me erase CD-R/W's (not sure about writing
> > > as all my CD-R/W are full!). I've tried several versions with no luck,
> > > am I missing some other tool(s) maybe.
> > >
> > > This is all on a fully up-to-date FC2 machine. Never had this problem
> > > on Mandrake. Starting to think I should roll my own KDE or use the
> > > RedHat packages on the KDE download page.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Nick.
> >
> > Seems like a drastic solution to a minor problem. Have you looked in the
> > logs to see if there are errors? Does k3b tell you what the problem is?
> > k3b is a front end to cdrecord. Try running cdrecord from the command
> > line and see what the problem is or, it might even work from there.
>
> Well, maybe. The problem is not that the process fails, rather k3b
> doesn't let me select those actions from the menu - they're greyed out.
> I don't think there will be much in the logs about that. Good idea
> though, I'll try erasing from the command line - suppose I'll have to
> RTFM.

Yes, it does take a few minutes to put together the incantation to make it
work. man cdrecord is well written. There are commands to query the device
capabilities, and that makes it a lot easier to put together the command.
That might also indicate why k3b thinks it cannot erase. I just noticed an
interesting k3b menu item: Help / System Check.

Larry

Larry