Greedy korgac

Martin Koller m.koller at surfeu.at
Mon Nov 22 20:37:40 GMT 2004

On Monday 22 November 2004 11:04, Frank Reifenstahl wrote:
> > > for a few weeks theres a greedy process "korgac" which after running
> > > KDE for about a week occupies 1 GB of memory. Anybody out there to tell
> > > me how to handle that problem?
> >
> > korgac is the "alarm daemon" for korganizer alarms, which pops up the
> > notification window.
> > I also have this problem once in a while.
> > I think there are some things you can try (although they are all not
> > nice):
> >
> > 1) If you don't need alarms for your events, you can turn off korgac
> > completely. (kcontrol/KDE Components/Service manager/Alarm Daemon)
>
> Did so, but after pressing "STOP" kcontrol signals "not running", but
> korgac doesn't care. Do i have to reboot? ;)

You're not running on MS ... ;-)

I think I'm mixing things up (korgac and kalarmd ...)
Try right click on the systray icon and select "quit".

> > 2) you could simply stop and restart korgac from time to time
>
> O.k. - how? "killall orgac" and then "korgac --miniicon korganizer"?

Stop it with right click on systray icon.
I think the simplest way to start it again is to close korganizer and restart
it. korgac is started by korganizer.

Well, this is kind of MS ...

> > 3) you can probably try to use a different type of resource to store your
> > events into (e.g. localdir resource - which has some bad performance
> > issues up to KDE-3.3).
>
> How to?

In korganizer/Settings you find "Show Resourcebuttons". Then on the lower
leftside you see a list of resources used (but beware - I'm using CVS HEAD,
it might be different in KDE-3.3). Then use the "Add.." button.

This is also possible from within kcontrol/KDE Components/KDE Resource
Configuration

> A cute korgac that doesn't bloat itself would be more enjoyable.

Absolutely, but ...

--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin
registered as user #332716 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

       Some operating systems are called 'user friendly',
             Linux however is 'expert friendly'.

--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin    ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail