artsd and multiple users

Tomasz Grobelny grotk at poczta.onet.pl
Sun Nov 21 13:24:39 GMT 2004

On Sunday 21 of November 2004 01:41, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Tomasz Grobelny wrote:
> > Is it possible to run one artsd for multiple users (I have only one
> > soundcard device)?
>
> Yes, but AFAIK only one can use it at a time which is fine for a desktop
> system where you switch from one user to another.

I generally thought about situation when one of the users leaves mplayer
playing radio stream (arts won't suspend), second one logs in and wants to
listen to the radio and hear system sounds. If one artsd instance can play
sounds from multiple applications why couldn't those applications belong to
different users?

Tomek