All KDE apps crash : So called solution

Guillaume CABUZEL cabuzel at vinci.jp
Thu Nov 11 02:20:20 GMT 2004

Hi,
I'm the guy from a Japanese company evaluating KDE from a desktop OS
replacement. We had a trouble with a user changing his KDE theme from
BlueCurve to Crystal, to move back to BlueCurve five minutes later (all
operations having been executed through the KDE config panel).
This user could not launch any KDE applications (Konqueror, Quanta,
KDEvelop, Kontact or whatever begin with a K...)
The "base" KDE was still running fine
And all the non KDE applications were still running fine (Gedit, XPDF,
the Gimp or Nautilus)

We tried to upgrade KDE to the latest version 3.3.? for our OS (Fedora
Core 2), it did not solved the problem.

The symptoms were like a memory leak. Whenever a KDE application was
launched, it started, eating up all memory, then eating the swap and
finally blocking the computer.

Thanks to your community : We so called "solved" the "problem": Removing
the user, creating a new one, and suppressing the possibility of a theme
change.
(so called resolving in a quick way, no time to do subtle, since we are
in evaluation of Linux, time to resolve a problem is directly considered
as a flaw of the OS by PHBs, and they are right to think this way, I do
the same)
I would like to thanks the two guys who have helped, indicating the
"memory leak" nature of the problem, and indication the "poisonnous"
nature of the BlueCurve theme. Even if I use linux for more than five
years now (mostly server side) it was the first time to ask to the
community something. I appreciate your help.

More rewarding, this "blocking problem" could have been fatal to my
pilot project of switching from Microsoft to Linux on the desktop. All
the microsoft zealots (aka Microserfs and various PHBs) have claimed
Linux unstable and unfit for the company as a consequence of this
trouble, providing demonstration of the flaw to all their collegues, to
try to prevent the pilot project to suceed. They are not important, the
important people to convince are the passive, those who don't really
care (i.e. 90% of the employees). These people have been positively
pleased that we could get almost instant access to front line help at no
cost. This does not means that we won't pay in the future for a support
package from some company, but that indeed mean that we wont spoil our
costly hours of support on trivial problem (aka a theme change...).
Thanks one more time to your community to help me spin it in the favor
of Linux.

On the minus side I don't understand how a Theme change can break that
badly KDE applications (memory leak from a Theme ??? how can this even
happen ???, a theme are images and fonts no ???). I do not have time to
investigate, and have choosen to deflect the blame on RedHat, rather
than KDE. It is for me easier to replace a distro (Mandrake or Suse will
fit the bill) rather than replace all KDE apps selected for the "default
desktop" with alternatives (if they exist !). But question : since all
the changes have been done through the KDE admin panel, why the software
did not check the theme (BlueCurve) detect its "poisonnous" nature, and
prevent the change ???

Well, thanks one more time, as a whole. I know I speak to much, but you
know I'm french, I can't help.

Guillaume CABUZEL
Da Vinci Co. Ltd.