All KDE Apps crash suddenly

Rikard Johnels rikjoh at norweb.se
Fri Nov 5 10:27:45 GMT 2004

On Friday 05 November 2004 07:14, Guillaume Cabuzel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm evaluating KDE for deployment in my company in Japan.
> It was nearly KDE, until today ...
>
> The problem:
> KDE seems to launch fine, (same as Gnome)
> But while they have run fine for two three months, all KDE Apps
> (Everything that start with a K, plus quanta for example) when started,
> crash the system.
> To be precise, the applications seems to launch (splash screen + empty
> frame of a window), and massively rely on the disk, to finnaly block the
> system, freeze the keyboard, the mouse, the graphical desktop (KDE,
> Gnome, WM, whatever)...
> Only a reboot can help.

Is this after 3 months UPTIME or after the after system has been installed.
Is it ONLY K-apps? (ie. can you start any NON KDE apps and keep running?)

> We were interrested in KDE because of Kdevelop and Kollab, among other.
> But none of these two applications runs anymore.
>
> The most recent change is a simple "theme change" from Fedora Core 2
> theme (Bluecurve) to "crystal".
>
> An Upgrade to KDE 3.3.? (the latest, downloaded from kde.org) didn't
> solved anything...
>
> We were running Fedora Core 2 as a test machine, which run fine under
> KDE and Gnome for more than 6 months.
> All updates were done via up2date...
> All applications, apart from KDE Apps work fine (File-roller or Mozilla
> or Ethereal...)
>
> Do anybody knows which reasons can make all KDE apps fail at startup,
> freezing a linux box ???

Might be a memory leak from something else.
Have you checked loggs, the output from "top" and the other "common" ways to
see what might trash?

> Thanks in advance for your time, should you request any further
> information, please do not hesitate to contact me.
>
> Guillaume Cabuzel
> Da Vinci Co. Ltd.

         /Rikard

Rikard Johnels          email   : rikjoh at norweb.se