All KDE Apps crash suddenly

Guillaume Cabuzel cabuzel at vinci.jp
Fri Nov 5 06:14:10 GMT 2004

Hello,

I'm evaluating KDE for deployment in my company in Japan.
It was nearly KDE, until today ...

The problem:
KDE seems to launch fine, (same as Gnome)
But while they have run fine for two three months, all KDE Apps
(Everything that start with a K, plus quanta for example) when started,
crash the system.
To be precise, the applications seems to launch (splash screen + empty
frame of a window), and massively rely on the disk, to finnaly block the
system, freeze the keyboard, the mouse, the graphical desktop (KDE,
Gnome, WM, whatever)...
Only a reboot can help.

We were interrested in KDE because of Kdevelop and Kollab, among other.
But none of these two applications runs anymore.

The most recent change is a simple "theme change" from Fedora Core 2
theme (Bluecurve) to "crystal".

An Upgrade to KDE 3.3.? (the latest, downloaded from kde.org) didn't
solved anything...

We were running Fedora Core 2 as a test machine, which run fine under
KDE and Gnome for more than 6 months.
All updates were done via up2date...
All applications, apart from KDE Apps work fine (File-roller or Mozilla
or Ethereal...)

Do anybody knows which reasons can make all KDE apps fail at startup,
freezing a linux box ???

Thanks in advance for your time, should you request any further
information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Guillaume Cabuzel
Da Vinci Co. Ltd.