Mad font behaviour in Konqueror

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Nov 4 21:52:41 GMT 2004

Daniël Mantione wrote:
>>James Richard Tyrer wrote
>>

>>>Daniël Mantione wrote:
>>>
>>>How can I tell Konq to use the 12pts font?
>>
>>Support for bit mapped fonts is not really maintained well anymore.
>

> Weird. Do you think it is a bug?

What you describe in your original question might be a bug and you can report it.

The fact that XFontSel will display the 12 point font is only partially
relevant.  It indicates that the font exists.  However, KDE/Qt now uses
FontConfig and (despite what the documentation says) FontConfig only uses
PixelSize for bit mapped fonts, and ultimately, you need to specify a screen
font in pixels.

The bitmapped Helvetica that comes with X has these PixelSizes:

	10, 12, 14 16, 18, 20, 21, 27, & 35

So, if KDE doesn't ask for one of these PixelSizes it isn't going to work.

And, it might be that this need to convert to PixelSize is where the problem is.
  Unfortunately, it is also possible that this is a Qt bug.

It is also possible that your choice of DPI for X might be part of the problem.
  The fonts that come with X are for 75 and 100 DPI so if your are using an
other setting this might be a problem.

You can check to see if FontConfig can find a font with (for example):

	fc-list helvetica:pixelsize=16

(There is currently no GUI like XFontSel.)

which would be about 12 pt. at 100 DPI.  PixelSize = (PointSize/72)*DPI

--
JRT