Mad font behaviour in Konqueror

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Nov 2 02:52:39 GMT 2004

Daniƫl Mantione wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yesterday I decided the Linux installation on my laptop was getting too
> old, so hopla, now it's running the brand new SuSE 9.2 with KDE 3.3.
> (Was KDE 3.1 on SuSE 8.0).
>
> Now, I'm having a serious difference in opinion with Konqueror, who
> refuses to display fonts in the size I'd like. The "standard font" I'm
> using is Helvetica, which Konqueror normally displays in 12pts size,
> ideal. (In say, a normal html file with just text, no markup.)
>
> However this new weird Konqueror decides to use 14pts. A little bit too
> large if you ask me. If I use the zoom-out button it becomes 10pts.
> Which is workable, but 12pts is still much better.
>
> The 12pts font is available however, I can select it in xfontsel. Toying
> with the font sliders doesn't seem to help much, if I drag them to the
> left I can get the 10pts font size, but no way to get 12pts.
>
> How can I tell Konq to use the 12pts font?

Support for bit mapped fonts is not really maintained well anymore.

I would suggest that you use a scalable font.

If you want Helvetica, use the URW clone: NimbusSanL.

Or install the real Helvetica from Adobe Acrobat 3.? for Windows:

	ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/win/3.x/ar302.exe

WINE should unpack it.

Or Google for the fonts:

	HVBO____.PFB
	HVB_____.PFB
	HVO_____.PFB
	HV______.PFB

Get the AFM files here:

	ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/type/win/all/afmfiles/900-960/950/

and convert all the file names to lower case.

Or, install the MS fonts and use Arial:

	http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/

--
JRT