after upgrade to 3.2.1 fonts are slow... [solved]

liste at hgfelger.de liste at hgfelger.de
Mon May 24 13:45:51 BST 2004

Salut James,
On Sun, 23 May 2004, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> hgfelger at hgfelger.de wrote:
>> Salut folks,
>> after I did an upgrade from my SuSE 8.1 to 9.1 the kde is slower than
>> before. There are times, when the system locks up for a few seconds...
>> When I start konquerer out of a shell I get this message, right before it
>> starts showing the content:
>>  couldn't open fontconfigs chosen font with Xft!!!
>>   (some 20 times of this line... or more)
> 	ldd /usr/local/qt-3.3.2/lib/libqt-mt.so.3.3.2
>
> {your path to qt may be different]
>
> and make sure that it is finding:
>
> 	libXft.so.2
> 	libfreetype.so.6
>
> If not then that is your problem.  If this is the problem, there could be two
> causes:
>
> 1.	Qt is not linked against these libraries.
>
> You would need to rebuild Qt.
>
> 2.	LD.SO is not properly finding the libraries.
>
> Check that the paths for their directories are in: "/etc/ld.so.conf" and then
> as root, run:
>
> 	ldconfig -v |grep freetype.so.6
> 	ldconfig -v |grep Xft.so.2
That set me to the right track ;-) I found out, that my system had had two
versions of freetype.so.6 (one in /usr/lib, and one in /usr/X11R6/lib). As
the X11R6 comes first in my /etc/ld.so.conf and it was the older one 6.3.3
vs. 6.3.5 this meant trouble. After removing the old version every issue I
described disapeared (the konqueror issue instantly, the kcontrol things
after a restart).

Thanks a lot! That's much better, than compiling things myself (-:
   hartwig felger

Hartwig Felger informatics

- --
1024D/339FD693 Hartwig Felger <hgfelger at hgfelger.de>
Key fingerprint = FB2F 3EE9 345A D55B 6FF2  0EC1 F5B0 684F 339F D693
For the pulic keys, please visit my page.