after upgrade to 3.2.1 fonts are slow...

hgfelger at hgfelger.de hgfelger at hgfelger.de
Sun May 23 10:42:49 BST 2004

Salut folks,
after I did an upgrade from my SuSE 8.1 to 9.1 the kde is slower than
before. There are times, when the system locks up for a few seconds...

The well running system was updated till kde 3.1.5 before (with partly
self compiled components...)

When I start konquerer out of a shell I get this message, right before it
starts showing the content:
  couldn't open fontconfigs chosen font with Xft!!!
   (some 20 times of this line... or more)
So it seems to me, that the problem is font-system related. Also, if I try
to magnify the konqueror contents, the lockup (just for a couple of
seconds) take place, some time - maybe, if it hit a fontsize, it had not
displayed this session?

Deleting the ~/.fonts directory did not help. Even a newly created user
showed this problem. Also fc-cache -f and SuSEconfig did not help.
I then had a look into kcontrol/Aystem Administration/Font Installer:
   Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:
   klauncher said: Fehler beim Laden von "kio fonts"
translated: error while loading "kio fonts"
the shell says:
  kcontrol: WARNING: KGenericFactory: instance requested but no instance
  name passed to the constructor!
  kcontrol: ERROR: ERROR 3: couldn't create slave : Unable to create
  io-slave:
  klauncher said: Fehler beim Laden von "kio_fonts"

when entering "Administartor Mode"
  it says, after some searching on the harddisk:
  The process for the fonts protocol died unexpectedly
the shell says:
  QLayout "unnamed" added to QVBox "m_body", which already has a layout
  kcmshell: WARNING: KGenericFactory: instance requested but no instance
  name passed to the constructor!
  xset:  warning, no entries deleted from font path.
  xset:  warning, no entries deleted from font path.
  xset:  warning, no entries deleted from font path.
  xset:  warning, no entries deleted from font path.
  xset:  warning, no entries deleted from font path.
  xset:  warning, no entries deleted from font path.
  xset:  warning, no entries deleted from font path.
  xset:  warning, no entries deleted from font path.
  xset:  warning, no entries deleted from font path.
  xset:  warning, no entries deleted from font path.
  xset:  warning, no entries deleted from font path.
  xset:  warning, no entries deleted from font path.
  /opt/kde3/bin/kioslave: error while loading shared libraries:
  /opt/kde3/lib/kde3/kio_fonts.so: undefined symbol: FTC_Manager_New
So I guess, I have to compile (at least) some part of QT/KDE for myself?

Does anyone have a suggestion, where it would be best to start with?
Is it right to try to start with QT, as it is responsible for the fonts?
Is the font-installer a totally different story, that would not bring me
forward?

Thanks for any hint
   hartwig felger

Hartwig Felger informatics

- --
1024D/339FD693 Hartwig Felger <hgfelger at hgfelger.de>
Key fingerprint = FB2F 3EE9 345A D55B 6FF2  0EC1 F5B0 684F 339F D693
For the pulic keys, please visit my page.