KDE administration for multiple users

Gavin Hamill gdh at acentral.co.uk
Mon May 17 15:51:21 BST 2004

On Monday 17 May 2004 15:41, Gray, Tim wrote:
> I am evaluating KDE for use in corperate setting.  I need to know how to
> take a KDE user profile that I customized by loggin in as that user,
> changed all the settings to what I like.

I did this, but it was certainly a UNIX experience -> not 'easy' by modern
standards - i.e. there's no "click here to make this user the default
profile" button...

You'll need to populate /etc/skel with the .kde/ structure - and much of this
work is by trial and error. If you simply take an existing user's profile and
copy it to /etc/skel, you'll probably run into errors because some of those
config files will contain hardcoded paths to /home/yourusername etc. but it
should be enough to start working from.

I worked through this by grepping for "/home" in the whole /etc/skel
hierarchy. From there, when I want to change a default setting, I open the
relevant app or Control Centre module, and attach "strace" to that process
ID, watch for the kde config files which are open()'d, and then diff the
changed.

Not a lot of fun, but predicatable and reliable.

Hope that helps :)

Gavin.