Panes' synchronization in KFM.

Jim MacLeod j75trym at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue May 4 21:27:23 BST 2004

On Tuesday 04 May 2004 20:37, ddtl wrote:
> Jim MacLeod wrote:
> > On Monday 03 May 2004 23:51, ddtl wrote:
> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>I have a couple of questions concerning configuration of KFM:
> >>
> >>1) How can I configure KFM to show hidden files as a default -
> >>currently, in order to show hidden files, I have to enter a directory
> >>and set "Show hidden files", which poses two problems: first of all I
> >>don't want to do it for every single directory on my PC. Also, in order
> >> to remember the settings, KFM creates a special file in every directory

I can switch the "show hidden" on/off in every folder and it doesn't create
any file. It's a universal setting.

> >> in which "Show hidden files" is set, but I don't have write privileges
> >> for most directories.
Quite right, you should ONLY have write privileges for your user folders

> > AFAIK you just set "Show Hidden" and that applies to all - except that I
> > think most hidden files are only in /home.

> No, it is not so - it applies only to the directories where "Show hidden
> Files" was set, and those settings are not remembered unless ".directory"
> file with proper setting is created in the directory.
Again, I'm almost certain the only .hidden files in Linux are in  /home.

> >>2) My KFM is configured to show directory tree (Navigation Panel) in the
> >>left pane and file list in the right pane.
> >>
> >>Is it possible to synchronize those panes, so that when I change
> >> directory in the tree - it is also changed in the file list: currently,
> >> in order to do that you have to press "Return", and I want it to happen
> >> automatically (preferably with some (configurable?) delay, so that I
> >> won't get "stuck" waiting for file listing while browsing the tree if I
> >> pass a directory with a lot of files en route to a destination
> >> directory).
>
> Maybe it is because i failed to state that I don't use mouse for navigation
> - only keyboard.
Yes sorry, should have guessed, if you don't use the mouse then you have to
<CR> to update the folder display. Don't know if there is a work-around.
Jim