Panes' synchronization in KFM.

ddtl umail at km.ru
Tue May 4 20:37:14 BST 2004

Jim MacLeod wrote:
> On Monday 03 May 2004 23:51, ddtl wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I have a couple of questions concerning configuration of KFM:
>>
>>1) How can I configure KFM to show hidden files as a default -
>>currently, in order to show hidden files, I have to enter a directory
>>and set "Show hidden files", which poses two problems: first of all I
>>don't want to do it for every single directory on my PC. Also, in order to
>>remember the settings, KFM creates a special file in every directory
>>in which "Show hidden files" is set, but I don't have write privileges
>>for most directories.
>
> AFAIK you just set "Show Hidden" and that applies to all - except that I think
> most hidden files are only in /home.

No, it is not so - it applies only to the directories where "Show hidden
Files" was set, and those settings are not remembered unless ".directory"
file with proper setting is created in the directory.

>>2) My KFM is configured to show directory tree (Navigation Panel) in the
>>left pane and file list in the right pane.
>>
>>Is it possible to synchronize those panes, so that when I change directory
>>in the tree - it is also changed in the file list: currently, in order to
>>do that you have to press "Return", and I want it to happen automatically
>>(preferably with some (configurable?) delay, so that I won't get "stuck"
>>waiting for file listing while browsing the tree if I pass a directory
>>with a lot of files en route to a destination directory).
>
> Seems a contradiction - why set something to display all and then have another
> setting to cancel it if you 'zip' past. Go the direct route, ie just
> left-click on whichever folder you want, the display is updated.

I don't really understand what do you mean by "set something to display all" -
it seems that you somehow refer to my first question, but they are completely
independent.

Maybe it is because i failed to state that I don't use mouse for navigation -
only keyboard. So, let's say that the focus is in a left pane on a /a directory,
and my directory tree looks like the one below. Currently, after i press
"Arrow Down" key to change focus to a directory /b, right pane still shows
file listing from a directory /a. In order to see the file listing in a /b,
I have to press "Return". What I want, is that after pressing "Arrow Down"
key the right pane will show file listing for /b without the need for me
to press "Return".

Now, let's say that my wish was granted, and there is no need to press
"Return" to get file listing. If focus is on /a, and I want to view file
listing in /c, I have to press "Arrow Down" twice. Now, let's also say that
there are 1000000 files in /b. If there is no delay between focus changing
and file listing, immediately after I press "Return", KFM begins to list
files in /b and show them in a right pane, and it takes a lot of time.
Now, because KFM is busy listing files, it does not responds to the user (me),
so I have to wait untill the listing is completed in order to be able to press
"Return" the second time to get to the /c and view it's file list - and that
is cumbersome.

But if KFM begins to list files in the right pane only after you change
focus and wait, say, half a second, I will be able to quickly press
"Return" twice so that /b gets focus only for <0.5 sec., and KFM won't
even begin listing /b's files.

-+

  /a
  /b