task bar and konqueror improvements

Peter Clark peter-clark at bethel.edu
Mon May 3 16:14:06 BST 2004

On Monday 03 May 2004 10:36, Pol wrote:
> I would like several taskbars on my desktop, each collecting windows
> matching a given string (a regular expression) in Window Name or Class.
> It would allow me to keep together open documements according to the
> editor name, the file name or the directory path name.
> E.g. all open files in my directory ~/Notes could be collected by a special
> task bar).
	I would recommend you look at SuperKaramba and brush up on your Python; there
are already several taskbars for SK which could be modified to suit your
needs. You would need to create only one taskbar, then copy and rename it and
make small changes to each one to display only what you want.

> I woudl like these specialized taskbars could be placed on the desktop
> and in the Konqueror horizontal bar as well.
	I would like custom bars in Konq, too, but I don't see much of a chance of
this ever happening.

> I would like to customize string that Konqueror passes to the window
> manager, to assign a more descriptive title to the window and to its
> relevant icon. In particular, i would like to see the plain directory name,
> as Konqueror is displaying contents, without its path and without the
> ending  '- Konqueror' (that coud be replaced by a small logo)
	If you go with SuperKaramba, you can easily do this. For instance, I made a
custom taskbar that, among other things, reduces "A web site with a long and
unhelpful title - Konqueror" to just "Konqueror", since I, unlike you, don't
want a descriptive title, especially since I use tabs for browsing. But the
opposite would be simple, too.

> Will it be possible, in a next KDE release?
	Why wait? You could have it within a couple days, depending upon how good you
are with Python. (And if you haven't learned it, you should--you'll never
regret it.)
	:Peter